Thursday, February 21, 2013

WANT SOME PEANUT BUTTER ON THAT ROCK?



Esther 12: 14-16, 23-25 - Queen Esther’s prayer in a time of trouble
Matthew 7: 7-12 - In God we trust for the good things we need in this life.


How much do we trust God?  Is divine providence good enough for us?  Or is it better to settle for our own satisfaction?  When I choose to settle for what is going to please me, for what I think is going to be best for me; when I demand that God should give me what I think is best, I can say with certainty, that I will never be satisfied.  God cannot please me if I settle for what I want.

Divine providence, even if it is not what I desire, has a way of exceeding my desires, or even the things I feel I really need.  Last week I wanted a sandwich, but I didn’t have any bread, or stuff to put in it, and was about to put my jacket on to go to McDonalds when all of a sudden the doorbell rang and there was a parishioner with a piping hot dish of pasta, meatballs, and Italian sausage - enough for two big meals.  Not bad, I thought, not bad.  

So often what we think we need is not what God wants for us.  To entrust our lives to providence, without condition or reservation will lead to a satisfaction that exceeds our expectations in vast abundance, because God knows the needs of our hearts even better than we do, and his desire for us is a happiness beyond what we can know.

No comments:

Post a Comment