Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Servant's Heart


Isaiah 1: 10, 16-20
Matthew 23: 1-12

It is fascinating right now to read all the articles about the preparations for the Conclave to elect the new pope.  Transition seems to take on historical proportions, but when all is said and done, not much will change.  Perhaps that is how it should be.  In persecution the Church thrives.  In controversy the Church hides behind every conceivable shadow the vast structure creates.

Whether the times are glorious, or dark, leaders of the Church are given a mandate in the gospel to be servants even before they are to be teachers, spiritual guides, or figures of authority.  From the Pope to parents who teach their children to pray, leaders of the faith are called to serve the needs of others.  That means they look beyond themselves to see the needs of others and meet them before they meet their own.  

When I examine my conscience I find the shame that pains me most stems from the sins of pride and greed.  These are sins that say I, and the authority I am given, are more important than serving the needs of others.  When I become more important than you, we’re all in trouble, and from that we should hide.  I was sent here to lead you in love.  To serve you in Persona Christi.  For the times I’ve failed, I’m sorry.  

My most fervent is to have a servant’s heart.


2 comments:

  1. How often I have these exact same thoughts. When I take a day to lay in bed for a migraine when I should have been at the Parish doing something, or when I let a cold keep me from being out there doing something else. Pride is my great struggle. I have too much of it, too often. Thank you for reminding me, that I still need to work on myself more.

    ReplyDelete